My life always appears to be so hectic. It's as if I purposely overload myself with more things than I could possibly ever accomplish. As I'm going to sleep I think about all the things I need to get done And when I'm awake during the day I think about all the things that need to get done. Take a shower, make coffee, eat breakfast, brush my teeth, go to work, etc... It's almost as if at the end of the day I can truly ask myself, "where did the day go?" Enough of these and I can ask myself the same questions in weeks, months, or even years!
So when I feel like these questions are coming up, I do some brief exercises that help bring me to the present moment and remind myself that I'm living.
1. For 5 minutes: Whatever you are doing, just do it slightly slower. At work we are all given tasks to do. One time per day, for 5 minutes do that task a little bit slower. Do not do the task in slow motion, or take breaks from the task, simply do it a little bit slower.
2. Take 5 minutes at lunch to notice what you're eating. You can actually do this at an meal, or anytime you eat. You are going to notice what your food looks like, how it smells, feels, and tastes. As you pick up your food, notice the texture of it, is it bumpy, smooth, wet? Notice what you smell. As you take it in your mouth notice how it feels in your mouth, notice the tastes that are coming out of it, how your teeth break it down. As you swallow it, notice it going down your throat. Do the same with the drink.
3. Take 3 minutes to just sit and notice your breath. Sit in a place of your choice, could be behind your desk, or anywhere. Close your eyes. For 3 minutes simply pay attention to your breath. For these 3 minutes your breath gets your undivided attention. If you notice yourself thinking about something, even the thought "why am I doing this stupid exercise", just notice that your're thinking that and then gently bring your attention back to your breath.
4. Wash the Dishes. If you're not used to doing dishes, there will be many benefits to this one. As you begin to wash the dishes, notice the texture of the plate and the warmth of the water on your hands. Inhale and notice if there is any scent. Listen to hear the rush of the water or any other sounds that are happening around you. Not only will you be able to practice being in the moment, but many of your family and friends will be thrilled with you.
5. Take a Bath or Shower. Preferably a bath if you have one, but even with a shower, you can take your moment in the shower or bath to feel the warmth of the water or feel how your body is immersed in the water. How does your skin feel? Do you notice any smells? Is your hair wet. Just be in the moment and notice all your senses....breathe.
6. Make Love Slightly Slower for a few moments. As you are making love to your significant other, take a moment to purposely move slightly slower. As you do this begin to mentally feel over all parts of your body. How your skin feels when touching his/hers, how are you breathing? Are you sweating? Is there a scent in the air. Take a moment and really be there making love.
7. Smell a flower for an extra breath. This one I love. Often times I will be passing by a flower and if I remember to smell it, I take an extra inhalation to really get the full experience of the scent. You will be surprised how much that extra inhalation makes a difference in the experience.
8. Be Silly. I'm serious;). Being silly allows your creative juices to flow and your creative juices is what life is all about. Letting yourself be silly can also be very relaxing and create joyful situations that are full of meaning.
9. Write a letter to someone close to you... telling them how much you appreciate them. This is not a new idea by any stretch yet it is always worth mentioning since it is so meaningful. A letter that that person will always cherish.
10. Remind yourself that you are a miracle. This may be the most important. How they heck did any of us get here? When we break it down to nanotechnology and quantum physics, scientists are stumped to figure out the great mystery of us physically being here and interacting and creating symbols and concepts and communicating.
It's boggling. That's why our moments on this earth are so precious and it is a wonderful gift to attempt to cultivate those moments in life that you consider to be sacred.
You get the idea... try it out.
Elisha Goldstein holds an M.A. in Psychology and is a 4th year doctoral student at the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology in Palo Alto. He is currently exploring how the cultivation of sacred moments in daily life affects well-being and stress. If you would consider participating in this invaluable study, please go to http://sacredmomentstudy.blogspot.com You can also check out http://mindfulmoments.blogspot.com
Your karmic number interpretation tells you what you need to... Read More
Boiled down to all of our essence, all we really... Read More
Other people can bring tremendous happiness to our lives but... Read More
Joy is sexy because in embracing our joy, we embrace... Read More
It is easy to get caught up in the day-to-day... Read More
Here's a multiple choice question for you. Who is more... Read More
Most people don't even know they're doing it. Throughout the... Read More
"Hey everybody!" Hairdresser Lady called out. "It's The Happy Guy.""Don't... Read More
Our sense of smell elicits strong emotional reactions and trigger... Read More
What comes to your mind when you see someone who... Read More
As a coach, I often ask myself the question why... Read More
Are you content and at inner peace?Or are you insecure... Read More
I'm searching for modern happiness. The old-fashioned kind takes just... Read More
If one thing is for certain, each of us will... Read More
Right off the top: What is the difference between dating... Read More
Jesus says in Matthew 13:25"But while men slept, his enemy... Read More
You have the power to attract and repel anything in... Read More
Did you know that it's up to you?It's actually your... Read More
I want to share with you today one of those... Read More
Achieving a level of personal happiness previously unknown is closer... Read More
We've all had a vision or a great idea and... Read More
Aromatics which include essential oils, perfume, centred candles and incense,... Read More
This is one of my all time favourite problem solving... Read More
Being raised in a household without a mother or a... Read More
Anger can make us feel good and enlivened for a... Read More
In pursuit of happiness, what will we do as women?... Read More
Placing your attention, energy and focus on the negative aspects... Read More
1. roll around in the grass, and don't brush the... Read More
Most people look outside of themselves as the cause of... Read More
"You cannot capture happiness no matter how hard you may... Read More
It is easy to get caught up in the day-to-day... Read More
"When you live the life you were meant to live,... Read More
EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE - how to build positive emotions for extraordinary... Read More
Too many of us seem to think that there should... Read More
Health and Happiness are the two things that most people... Read More
My journey to becoming a therapist began with a desire... Read More
How Laughter Can Reduce Stress and Improve Your HealthA merry... Read More
Our feelings and attitudes have a huge impact on our... Read More
Humans are liable to experience a variety of afflictions, but... Read More
I have never lived anywhere else where when you walk... Read More
We all have them. It has many faces. We carry... Read More
What is the one thing you want more than anything... Read More
The quality of your life has a strong connection with... Read More
If your blood is still pumping through your veins, you... Read More
Passion Love Action You! Playing with your own divinity, spirit,... Read More
One of my favorite songs is Bobby McFerrin's refrain, "Don't... Read More
The Life Path is determined by the sum that is... Read More
So many people overwork themselves literary in the quest for... Read More
Have you ever had one of those days where you... Read More
Taking a Magickal Bath doesn't have to be complicated. It... Read More
Finding Happiness Finding Happiness