My life always appears to be so hectic. It's as if I purposely overload myself with more things than I could possibly ever accomplish. As I'm going to sleep I think about all the things I need to get done And when I'm awake during the day I think about all the things that need to get done. Take a shower, make coffee, eat breakfast, brush my teeth, go to work, etc... It's almost as if at the end of the day I can truly ask myself, "where did the day go?" Enough of these and I can ask myself the same questions in weeks, months, or even years!
So when I feel like these questions are coming up, I do some brief exercises that help bring me to the present moment and remind myself that I'm living.
1. For 5 minutes: Whatever you are doing, just do it slightly slower. At work we are all given tasks to do. One time per day, for 5 minutes do that task a little bit slower. Do not do the task in slow motion, or take breaks from the task, simply do it a little bit slower.
2. Take 5 minutes at lunch to notice what you're eating. You can actually do this at an meal, or anytime you eat. You are going to notice what your food looks like, how it smells, feels, and tastes. As you pick up your food, notice the texture of it, is it bumpy, smooth, wet? Notice what you smell. As you take it in your mouth notice how it feels in your mouth, notice the tastes that are coming out of it, how your teeth break it down. As you swallow it, notice it going down your throat. Do the same with the drink.
3. Take 3 minutes to just sit and notice your breath. Sit in a place of your choice, could be behind your desk, or anywhere. Close your eyes. For 3 minutes simply pay attention to your breath. For these 3 minutes your breath gets your undivided attention. If you notice yourself thinking about something, even the thought "why am I doing this stupid exercise", just notice that your're thinking that and then gently bring your attention back to your breath.
4. Wash the Dishes. If you're not used to doing dishes, there will be many benefits to this one. As you begin to wash the dishes, notice the texture of the plate and the warmth of the water on your hands. Inhale and notice if there is any scent. Listen to hear the rush of the water or any other sounds that are happening around you. Not only will you be able to practice being in the moment, but many of your family and friends will be thrilled with you.
5. Take a Bath or Shower. Preferably a bath if you have one, but even with a shower, you can take your moment in the shower or bath to feel the warmth of the water or feel how your body is immersed in the water. How does your skin feel? Do you notice any smells? Is your hair wet. Just be in the moment and notice all your senses....breathe.
6. Make Love Slightly Slower for a few moments. As you are making love to your significant other, take a moment to purposely move slightly slower. As you do this begin to mentally feel over all parts of your body. How your skin feels when touching his/hers, how are you breathing? Are you sweating? Is there a scent in the air. Take a moment and really be there making love.
7. Smell a flower for an extra breath. This one I love. Often times I will be passing by a flower and if I remember to smell it, I take an extra inhalation to really get the full experience of the scent. You will be surprised how much that extra inhalation makes a difference in the experience.
8. Be Silly. I'm serious;). Being silly allows your creative juices to flow and your creative juices is what life is all about. Letting yourself be silly can also be very relaxing and create joyful situations that are full of meaning.
9. Write a letter to someone close to you... telling them how much you appreciate them. This is not a new idea by any stretch yet it is always worth mentioning since it is so meaningful. A letter that that person will always cherish.
10. Remind yourself that you are a miracle. This may be the most important. How they heck did any of us get here? When we break it down to nanotechnology and quantum physics, scientists are stumped to figure out the great mystery of us physically being here and interacting and creating symbols and concepts and communicating.
It's boggling. That's why our moments on this earth are so precious and it is a wonderful gift to attempt to cultivate those moments in life that you consider to be sacred.
You get the idea... try it out.
Elisha Goldstein holds an M.A. in Psychology and is a 4th year doctoral student at the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology in Palo Alto. He is currently exploring how the cultivation of sacred moments in daily life affects well-being and stress. If you would consider participating in this invaluable study, please go to http://sacredmomentstudy.blogspot.com You can also check out http://mindfulmoments.blogspot.com
It's a beautiful spring day in Beverly Hills, California. I'm... Read More
Who is the happiest person in America? USA Today featured... Read More
As a teenager growing up reading 'Blue Jeans' and 'Jackie',... Read More
Looking for a way to stay positive in a negative... Read More
What if I told you that you have the ability... Read More
Sometimes life experiences can be like a lemon-flavored Tootsie Roll... Read More
According to U.S. research, you can add seven and a... Read More
What is it that everyone is seeking? Happiness with no... Read More
I talked in a recent article about how every moment... Read More
We are living in an era, where relations' management is... Read More
Health and Happiness are the two things that most people... Read More
Many people exercise, play sports, or know someone who does.... Read More
Your reaction to the events around you determines how you... Read More
I want to share with you today one of those... Read More
What is happiness? If we mean by it a state... Read More
Everyone is in the process of seeking greater happiness. We... Read More
I always marvel at the way people shine when they... Read More
The seeds you sow determine the crop you reap. This... Read More
When I was in graduate school for psychology, we had... Read More
This question and answer article was done by Gizelle River,... Read More
It is easy to get caught up in the day-to-day... Read More
The decisions we make everyday have a big impact on... Read More
Romance is conveyed in so many different ways.One less commonly... Read More
We are all familiar with or have heard of the... Read More
The outcome of Reason # 2 is that you become... Read More
Has someone nearby been sending you emails rather than calling... Read More
We are all familiar with or have heard of the... Read More
When we choose to move beyond the boundaries of the... Read More
My journey to becoming a therapist began with a desire... Read More
A friend once said to me, "There is no meaning... Read More
Perhaps the most sought after thing in the world is... Read More
WE count the broken lyres that rest Where the sweet... Read More
If you have a very low self esteem or a... Read More
Don't Let Life Happen To You ... Read More
I am sure it is safe to say that each... Read More
A woman we'll call "Jane" thought she was a great... Read More
We are a pleasure seeking society. Most of us spend... Read More
Though his racing speed is a maximum 6 feet per... Read More
Our feelings and attitudes have a huge impact on our... Read More
You have the power to attract and repel anything in... Read More
The quality of your life has a strong connection with... Read More
How Laughter Can Reduce Stress and Improve Your HealthA merry... Read More
My friend called me this morning from her favorite coffee... Read More
First of all, examine yourself outwardly.Look at your fingernails. Are... Read More
What is happiness? The dictionary defines it as "a state... Read More
The older I get, the more I realize that ninety... Read More
In the United States, the pursuit of happiness is a... Read More
Yes, this is correct. Sunny Days are here to stay,... Read More
Does the expression "single and happy" sound like an oxymoron... Read More
1. Say "Yes" Only When You Want ToYou want to... Read More
Finding Happiness Finding Happiness