My life always appears to be so hectic. It's as if I purposely overload myself with more things than I could possibly ever accomplish. As I'm going to sleep I think about all the things I need to get done And when I'm awake during the day I think about all the things that need to get done. Take a shower, make coffee, eat breakfast, brush my teeth, go to work, etc... It's almost as if at the end of the day I can truly ask myself, "where did the day go?" Enough of these and I can ask myself the same questions in weeks, months, or even years!
So when I feel like these questions are coming up, I do some brief exercises that help bring me to the present moment and remind myself that I'm living.
1. For 5 minutes: Whatever you are doing, just do it slightly slower. At work we are all given tasks to do. One time per day, for 5 minutes do that task a little bit slower. Do not do the task in slow motion, or take breaks from the task, simply do it a little bit slower.
2. Take 5 minutes at lunch to notice what you're eating. You can actually do this at an meal, or anytime you eat. You are going to notice what your food looks like, how it smells, feels, and tastes. As you pick up your food, notice the texture of it, is it bumpy, smooth, wet? Notice what you smell. As you take it in your mouth notice how it feels in your mouth, notice the tastes that are coming out of it, how your teeth break it down. As you swallow it, notice it going down your throat. Do the same with the drink.
3. Take 3 minutes to just sit and notice your breath. Sit in a place of your choice, could be behind your desk, or anywhere. Close your eyes. For 3 minutes simply pay attention to your breath. For these 3 minutes your breath gets your undivided attention. If you notice yourself thinking about something, even the thought "why am I doing this stupid exercise", just notice that your're thinking that and then gently bring your attention back to your breath.
4. Wash the Dishes. If you're not used to doing dishes, there will be many benefits to this one. As you begin to wash the dishes, notice the texture of the plate and the warmth of the water on your hands. Inhale and notice if there is any scent. Listen to hear the rush of the water or any other sounds that are happening around you. Not only will you be able to practice being in the moment, but many of your family and friends will be thrilled with you.
5. Take a Bath or Shower. Preferably a bath if you have one, but even with a shower, you can take your moment in the shower or bath to feel the warmth of the water or feel how your body is immersed in the water. How does your skin feel? Do you notice any smells? Is your hair wet. Just be in the moment and notice all your senses....breathe.
6. Make Love Slightly Slower for a few moments. As you are making love to your significant other, take a moment to purposely move slightly slower. As you do this begin to mentally feel over all parts of your body. How your skin feels when touching his/hers, how are you breathing? Are you sweating? Is there a scent in the air. Take a moment and really be there making love.
7. Smell a flower for an extra breath. This one I love. Often times I will be passing by a flower and if I remember to smell it, I take an extra inhalation to really get the full experience of the scent. You will be surprised how much that extra inhalation makes a difference in the experience.
8. Be Silly. I'm serious;). Being silly allows your creative juices to flow and your creative juices is what life is all about. Letting yourself be silly can also be very relaxing and create joyful situations that are full of meaning.
9. Write a letter to someone close to you... telling them how much you appreciate them. This is not a new idea by any stretch yet it is always worth mentioning since it is so meaningful. A letter that that person will always cherish.
10. Remind yourself that you are a miracle. This may be the most important. How they heck did any of us get here? When we break it down to nanotechnology and quantum physics, scientists are stumped to figure out the great mystery of us physically being here and interacting and creating symbols and concepts and communicating.
It's boggling. That's why our moments on this earth are so precious and it is a wonderful gift to attempt to cultivate those moments in life that you consider to be sacred.
You get the idea... try it out.
Elisha Goldstein holds an M.A. in Psychology and is a 4th year doctoral student at the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology in Palo Alto. He is currently exploring how the cultivation of sacred moments in daily life affects well-being and stress. If you would consider participating in this invaluable study, please go to http://sacredmomentstudy.blogspot.com You can also check out http://mindfulmoments.blogspot.com
You have the power to attract and repel anything in... Read More
Chocolate delays reality. When I am eating chocolate, everything is... Read More
One of the most important colors in advertising is the... Read More
In preparation for a class I taught today, I spent... Read More
Although many for us strive for happiness in our daily... Read More
Did you see any of the Live 8 performances in... Read More
If your blood is still pumping through your veins, you... Read More
Your reaction to the events around you determines how you... Read More
If someone said you could feel inner peace and joy... Read More
I have decided to declare 2004 as the YEAR OF... Read More
Are you an adrenaline junkie who is looking for balance?... Read More
As a teenager growing up reading 'Blue Jeans' and 'Jackie',... Read More
We all have them. It has many faces. We carry... Read More
"When you live the life you were meant to live,... Read More
A friend once said to me, "There is no meaning... Read More
I've got a bit of a problem with depression and... Read More
The decisions we make everyday have a big impact on... Read More
Jesus says in Matthew 13:25"But while men slept, his enemy... Read More
Sometimes life experiences can be like a lemon-flavored Tootsie Roll... Read More
Looking for a way to stay positive in a negative... Read More
Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the... Read More
Life is simple. You'd be surprised to know that most... Read More
From what you see around you in your daily lives,... Read More
Our use of body posture plays a key role in... Read More
A woman we'll call "Jane" thought she was a great... Read More
Everyone I've ever met considers happiness to be desirable. There... Read More
Flowers are a simple, sincere and unobtrusive way to lift... Read More
Although many for us strive for happiness in our daily... Read More
How Laughter Can Reduce Stress and Improve Your HealthA merry... Read More
Right off the top: What is the difference between dating... Read More
Our sense of smell elicits strong emotional reactions and trigger... Read More
Groundedness is one of the most important components of a... Read More
The quality of your life has a strong connection with... Read More
Does the expression "single and happy" sound like an oxymoron... Read More
Over the course of my life's journey I have come... Read More
Are you living a balanced life?Many people are not. Their... Read More
Happiness is something we all seek, yet few of us... Read More
If there was ever a principle that was responsible for... Read More
Imagine that the Internal Revenue Service in your country claimed... Read More
This question and answer article was done by Gizelle River,... Read More
The most important achievements you can ever have in this... Read More
Yes, it might feel great to win the lottery. Money,... Read More
I like to be around positive people, people who tend... Read More
I have to be honest. I made the woman cashier... Read More
1. roll around in the grass, and don't brush the... Read More
If you have a very low self esteem or a... Read More
As life and lifestyles speed up, so does the growing... Read More
Did you know that your life's success in all areas... Read More
Anger can make us feel good and enlivened for a... Read More
Whatever we want in life, a partner, more money, good... Read More
Finding Happiness Finding Happiness