My life always appears to be so hectic. It's as if I purposely overload myself with more things than I could possibly ever accomplish. As I'm going to sleep I think about all the things I need to get done And when I'm awake during the day I think about all the things that need to get done. Take a shower, make coffee, eat breakfast, brush my teeth, go to work, etc... It's almost as if at the end of the day I can truly ask myself, "where did the day go?" Enough of these and I can ask myself the same questions in weeks, months, or even years!
So when I feel like these questions are coming up, I do some brief exercises that help bring me to the present moment and remind myself that I'm living.
1. For 5 minutes: Whatever you are doing, just do it slightly slower. At work we are all given tasks to do. One time per day, for 5 minutes do that task a little bit slower. Do not do the task in slow motion, or take breaks from the task, simply do it a little bit slower.
2. Take 5 minutes at lunch to notice what you're eating. You can actually do this at an meal, or anytime you eat. You are going to notice what your food looks like, how it smells, feels, and tastes. As you pick up your food, notice the texture of it, is it bumpy, smooth, wet? Notice what you smell. As you take it in your mouth notice how it feels in your mouth, notice the tastes that are coming out of it, how your teeth break it down. As you swallow it, notice it going down your throat. Do the same with the drink.
3. Take 3 minutes to just sit and notice your breath. Sit in a place of your choice, could be behind your desk, or anywhere. Close your eyes. For 3 minutes simply pay attention to your breath. For these 3 minutes your breath gets your undivided attention. If you notice yourself thinking about something, even the thought "why am I doing this stupid exercise", just notice that your're thinking that and then gently bring your attention back to your breath.
4. Wash the Dishes. If you're not used to doing dishes, there will be many benefits to this one. As you begin to wash the dishes, notice the texture of the plate and the warmth of the water on your hands. Inhale and notice if there is any scent. Listen to hear the rush of the water or any other sounds that are happening around you. Not only will you be able to practice being in the moment, but many of your family and friends will be thrilled with you.
5. Take a Bath or Shower. Preferably a bath if you have one, but even with a shower, you can take your moment in the shower or bath to feel the warmth of the water or feel how your body is immersed in the water. How does your skin feel? Do you notice any smells? Is your hair wet. Just be in the moment and notice all your senses....breathe.
6. Make Love Slightly Slower for a few moments. As you are making love to your significant other, take a moment to purposely move slightly slower. As you do this begin to mentally feel over all parts of your body. How your skin feels when touching his/hers, how are you breathing? Are you sweating? Is there a scent in the air. Take a moment and really be there making love.
7. Smell a flower for an extra breath. This one I love. Often times I will be passing by a flower and if I remember to smell it, I take an extra inhalation to really get the full experience of the scent. You will be surprised how much that extra inhalation makes a difference in the experience.
8. Be Silly. I'm serious;). Being silly allows your creative juices to flow and your creative juices is what life is all about. Letting yourself be silly can also be very relaxing and create joyful situations that are full of meaning.
9. Write a letter to someone close to you... telling them how much you appreciate them. This is not a new idea by any stretch yet it is always worth mentioning since it is so meaningful. A letter that that person will always cherish.
10. Remind yourself that you are a miracle. This may be the most important. How they heck did any of us get here? When we break it down to nanotechnology and quantum physics, scientists are stumped to figure out the great mystery of us physically being here and interacting and creating symbols and concepts and communicating.
It's boggling. That's why our moments on this earth are so precious and it is a wonderful gift to attempt to cultivate those moments in life that you consider to be sacred.
You get the idea... try it out.
Elisha Goldstein holds an M.A. in Psychology and is a 4th year doctoral student at the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology in Palo Alto. He is currently exploring how the cultivation of sacred moments in daily life affects well-being and stress. If you would consider participating in this invaluable study, please go to http://sacredmomentstudy.blogspot.com You can also check out http://mindfulmoments.blogspot.com
Everyone is in the process of seeking greater happiness. We... Read More
I've got a bit of a problem with depression and... Read More
Happiness is a state of mind, so your state of... Read More
"The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise... Read More
In life, many of us simply plunge ahead, only to... Read More
Do you want to put a smile on someone's face?... Read More
Anger can make us feel good and enlivened for a... Read More
What is wisdom? But first, what are the conditions that... Read More
"Happiness is the whole aim and end of human... Read More
People's lives today are jam-packed with great projects, ideas, to-do... Read More
Everyone I've ever met considers happiness to be desirable. There... Read More
You have a purpose in life. You have a unique... Read More
Did you know that according to research, children laugh about... Read More
What is it that everyone is seeking? Happiness with no... Read More
Don't Let Life Happen To You ... Read More
Could you stand to have a lot more happiness in... Read More
Gail was a quiet, shy, young lady. She has been... Read More
I have to be honest. I made the woman cashier... Read More
From what you see around you in your daily lives,... Read More
Only you can call me into aliveness. Each time... Read More
Whatever we want in life, a partner, more money, good... Read More
My friend called me this morning from her favorite coffee... Read More
Witchcraft is a messy, expensive, time-consuming, and inefficient way to... Read More
Yes, it might feel great to win the lottery. Money,... Read More
How would you like to have at least an extra... Read More
The outcome of Reason # 2 is that you become... Read More
What is happiness? The dictionary defines it as "a state... Read More
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."... Read More
"When you live the life you were meant to live,... Read More
Being raised in a household without a mother or a... Read More
Imagine discovering a way to get rid of your fears... Read More
Placing your attention, energy and focus on the negative aspects... Read More
The most beautiful flowers, in conjunction with their design and... Read More
"There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a... Read More
So you're stuck in a rut, bored with how your... Read More
We all want happiness and peace of mind. In the... Read More
The following three inspirations were adapted from A Daily Dose... Read More
Achieving a level of personal happiness previously unknown is closer... Read More
My grandmother, Mimi, was a great solitaire player. My family... Read More
Can money buy happiness? It's easy to say no, and... Read More
Many of us are probably so used to crisis in... Read More
The Law of Attraction exists in your life right now;... Read More
"Happiness is the whole aim and end of human... Read More
Do you really want to be happy? Everyone says yes,... Read More
It is now 5 years since I passed out of... Read More
Are you an adrenaline junkie who is looking for balance?... Read More
I always marvel at the way people shine when they... Read More
In the United States, the pursuit of happiness is a... Read More
We've all had a vision or a great idea and... Read More
What is happiness? If we mean by it a state... Read More
Finding Happiness Finding Happiness