1. Myth: Digital photos are pixilated or fuzzy. Reality: most people that say that have never seen a photo produced by a professional grade digital camera. The quality of modern digital cameras is equal of greater than film cameras.
2. Myth: Digital photos don't last they will fade in a couple of years. Reality: Only the photo capture part is digital. The printing is done using traditional photo paper on the same paper and chemistry used to print film photos. So, both will last the same.
3. Myth: Digital colors are muddy. Reality: Only if they are produced with cheap, low quality cameras and/or the photographer doesn't know how to adjust them and process them for printing
4. Myth: Digital photos are dangerous; the photographer can lose your photos.
Reality: Nowadays most photos are stored using Flash Cards that is one of the most reliable forms of digital storage. After the wedding the photos are downloaded to the computer and additional backups are created on CD or DVD allowing several copies of the same event to reside on different locations. In the case that photos are accidentally deleted they can be recovered using software. With film there is only one copy. It is not uncommon for the photo labs to lose the film, damage it in the printing machine, process it in the wrong chemistry, scratch it, etc. Film also can be damaged in camera, be fogged, damaged by X-rays at the airport, suffer color changes due to heat or age etc.
5. Myth: Digital photos lack detail. Reality: Only if they are produced with cheap, low quality cameras. It is not unusual for us to produce 30x40 inch prints from our professional grade cameras with stunning detail.
6. Myth: Digital is cheaper because there is no film. Reality: Professional grade digital cameras and lens are very expensive. In addition the professional photographer has to invest on computer equipment and software to process the photos.
7. Myth: I got a digital camera that takes great photos now I can start a career as a wedding photographer. Reality: Wedding photography requires that you have artistic talent and that you learn photography including composition, lighting, etc. A wedding is an uncontrolled event that requires technical and artistic skill. It is not the place to learn photography.
8. Myth: I don't have to take care when I take photos anymore I can fix it later in Photoshop or other photo-editing program. Reality: Garbage in and garbage out. There is no fix for badly composed photos, out of focus, bad lighting, etc.
9. Myth: Digital photography is easy now I don't need a professional wedding photographer. Reality: If you trust your wedding memories to somebody who doesn't have the professional skills you are likely to be sorry or disappointed.
10. Myth: I am afraid that the photographer will do weird effects. Reality: the purpose of the editing software is to enhance the quality of the photos. It is not a license to create weird stuff. Talk to your photographer about your expectations.
11. Myth: Digital will never be better than or equal to film. Reality: Digital cameras are equal or better than film in terms of resolution color fidelity etc. and far superior in low light situations. The "film look" can be easily emulated using digital imaging processing techniques.
12. Myth: I got a bigger fancier camera with more megapixels than your so my photos will be better than yours. Reality: Unless you have the technical and artistic skill the camera that you use will have minimal impact on the quality of the photos that you produce. A great camera in the right hands will produce great results. Some of the greatest photos in history were produced using mechanical cameras.
Juan Carlos Torres is a very respected and awarded wedding photographer in Oregon. He has a Masters Degree in Remote Sensing with a strong background in digital image processing and photography. He is a member of the several professional photographer organizations including the Professional Photographers of America, the Professional Photographers of Oregon, the Wedding Photojournalist Association, and the Oregon Wedding Photo Guild. His wedding photographs are unique and very artistic and have been featured in national and international magazines. For a sample of his works please visit portland oregon wedding photographer and eugene oregon wedding photographer For a discussion on wedding photography see our Blog at oregon wedding photographer
When you're driving through the mountains somewhere, and you... Read More
Some compact cameras are small enough to fit in your... Read More
Choosing a digital camera can be a daunting task with... Read More
Quite often I will have clients bring in old photographs... Read More
I once heard a lady say to a photographer that... Read More
The path to picking a digital camera usually leads to... Read More
There are a large number of top 10 digital camera... Read More
Started in a single-room by three Japanese men in the... Read More
What Is... Exposure BracketingExposure bracketing is a simple technique professional... Read More
Candid photography is photography that focuses on spontaneity rather than... Read More
Let's get something straight right out of the box. If... Read More
Most serious photographers and all professionals use a Single Lens... Read More
If you think that digital cameras are for snapshots only,... Read More
You may have joined the photo-sharing craze to share your... Read More
The digital camera is in reality a great possession with... Read More
Why Pinhole Photography?It's fun. It's creative. It's educative about the... Read More
The Vacation Season is fast approaching and naturally you will... Read More
Being such a fascinating device as the digital camera, this... Read More
Kids grow up so quickly and while we are often... Read More
Do you like to take photos? Are you always standing... Read More
The digital camera is not something of a magic box... Read More
So you have this great new camera. Now you're standing... Read More
The digital camera is not meant only for capturing images... Read More
Quality digital cameras are becoming affordable for just about everyone... Read More
Every Mom wants to take great photos of their babies... Read More
Elephants in the Sky[1980s, Lee Evens in Mali, Timbuktu/Africa]Advance: Lee... Read More
The world of photography is an amazing one. It's been... Read More
One technology that hasn't kept up with the rapid pace... Read More
Digital Camera Basics? The VocabularyShopping for a digital camera can... Read More
Some of the best images can be captured during the... Read More
Fuji digital cameras entered the market in the late 90's.... Read More
Anyone with the right camera equipment, and the necessary skills... Read More
Disposable Cameras (also called single-use cameras) first came on the... Read More
As you might imagine the paradigm shift from traditional film-based... Read More
A digital SLR camera or a single lens reflex (SLR)... Read More
The most important part of buying a digital camera is... Read More
There are a few very important tasks associated with using... Read More
Are you having megapixel envy each time you walk by... Read More
The vast beauty and richness of the desert can be... Read More
Looking at the digital camera, a person can visualize it... Read More
Photography is a diversified field of creating a spectral variety... Read More
Children are naturally photogenic. Ive worked in studios and children... Read More
A common problem with old photos is that they often... Read More
Night photographs express a special something that cannot be seen... Read More
If you are in the market to purchase a digital... Read More
When you're driving through the mountains somewhere, and you... Read More
So, you have taken lots of pictures with your new... Read More
Using a digital camera to take pictures is great. It's... Read More
A few years ago I became interested in digital photography,... Read More
Photography with the aid of a digital camera is beyond... Read More